Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Friend Leonard -James Frey

'Image


I just finished reading 'My Friend Leonard' by James Frey (author of 'A Million Little Pieces'). It didn't have the same effect on me as his first memoir did. I think it was to do with the repetitive topics. He was also exposed to have embellished very significant details in his first memoir. Still the characters/people were still interesting. I particularly admired Leonard: his honesty, his ability to fix bad situations, his selflessness towards James and his ultimate courage to live out the rest of his life truly.

I also liked reading about James' attempts to become a writer in Los Angeles and Leonard's advice: "Be not bold, be fucking BOLD. Every time you meet someone, make a fucking impression. Make them think you're the hottest shit in the world. Make them think they're gonna lose their job if they don't give you one. Look 'em in the eye, and never look away. Be confident and calm, be fucking bold."

I hope James is still sober and that the he alone can make the rest of his life decisions, rather than the alcohol, drugs or 'the fury' which I believe controls us all at some point or another.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice review! I haven't read James Frey's memoirs, but heard that he has embellished a lot of details in it. I remember Frey himself explaining his position on it in a later edition of the book. The quote you have given from his new book is quite interesting. I liked the line 'Make them think they're gonna lose their job if they don't give you one' :) Quite nice!

December 15, 2009 at 12:42 AM  
Blogger Daniela said...

Thank's Vishy, I wouldn't suggest you put this one at the front of your tbr list, but 'A Million Little Pieces' was interesting. Thanks for having a read, i'll be posting more as soon as possible. I just bought myself a whole lot of books for christmas!

December 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading your posts of your Christmas reads :)

December 19, 2009 at 6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home